Life Saving Station - Fine Art Photograph by Colleen Kammerer
History of Spermaceti Cove Life-Saving Station:
Built in 1894 the Spermaceti Cove Life-Saving Station, was home to the men who risked their lives saving shipwrecked victims. In 1915 the United States Life-Saving Service became part of the U.S. Coast Guard. The station was used by the Coast Guard until the late 1940s. Then the National Park Service converted it into a visitor center. The station was used until it was damaged Hurricane Sandy. The National Parks System has plans to restore this building and reopen it to the public. Until its restoration is complete, the building will remain closed to the public.
National Register of Historic Places#2 Life-Saving Service Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also part of the Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground Historic District National Historic Landmark.
* New Jersey
* USA Photographers
October 5th, 2010
Viewed 62 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 03/10/2019 at 8:55 AM