Copyright: Christiane Schulze
The Fort Point Light is located in Maine's 120-acre (0.49 km2) Fort Point State Park. The park is located on Fort Point, a small peninsula running eastward from Cape Jellison, at the entrance to the Penobscot River. The station was established in 1837 and was the first river light in Maine. It was automated in 1988 and remains an active aid to navigation.
The light's fourth order Fresnel lens is one of only eight Fresnel lenses still in use in Maine. The original fog signal, a 1200-pound (550 kg) cast iron bell suspended on a pyramidal tower built in 1890, is still visible today, although it has been replaced by a fog horn in the same building.
As Fort Point Light Station, the lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 23, 1988.
June 11th, 2013
Viewed 488 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 03/13/2019 at 4:03 PM