San Francisco de Asis mission church in Ranchos de Taos New Mexico. Construction on the church began around 1772 and was completed in 1815 by Franciscan Fathers and its patron is Saint Francis of Assisi. It is made of adobe, similar to many of the other Spanish missions in New Mexico. It was the center of the fortified Ranchos de Taos Plaza for protection against Comanche attackers
It was the subject of several paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe, and photographs by Ansel Adams, Paul Strand and Ned Scott. Georgia O'Keeffe described it as "one of the most beautiful buildings left in the United States by the early Spaniards."
The church was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970. It is also designated as a World Heritage church.
Image copyright 2018 Jon Burch Photography
September 2nd, 2018
Viewed 14 Times - Last Visitor from Taos, New Mexico on 03/14/2019 at 8:47 AM