The Pensacola Lighthouse in the panhandle of Florida. The first light marking the entrance to Pensacola Bay in western Florida was built in 1825. Never a really efficient light, the old 80-foot light was replaced in 1859 by the current 171-foot conical tower. The huge trees surrounding the light and keepers quarters are really dramatic and the grounds are kept immaculately, as one might expect of a major naval air station upon which it rests. This modern light is a first-class sea coast light as recommended by the Lighthouse Board in it�s reports in the mid 1800�s. Southern troops put the light out of commission during the Civil War, but was lit again in 1863 with a forth order Fresnel lens. A first order lens was affixed in 1869, making the light visible in excess of 26 miles out to sea.
September 13th, 2012
Viewed 1,459 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 03/23/2019 at 5:56 AM