The Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse and Lifesaving Station aided mariners for over a Century, Beginning in 1847. that year the U.S. Lighthouse service built the first lighthouse on the site to mark the turning point of lake Huron into Saginaw bay and the warn of shallow waters. Catherine Shook became Michigan's first female light keeper when she took over for her husband, peter,after he drowned in 1849. In 1857 the lighthouse and dwelling were replaced with the present 89 foot tower and attached house. in 1908 the brick assistant Keeper's was built. The Lighthouse was fully automated in 1934.
March 18th, 2017
Viewed 202 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 07/17/2019 at 7:53 AM