The Pont Saint-Bzet, also known as the Pont d'Avignon , is a famous medieval bridge in the town of Avignon, in southern France.
A bridge spanning the Rhbetween Villeneuve-lAvignon and Avignon was built between 1177 and 1185. This early bridge was destroyed forty years later during the Albigensian Crusade when Louis VIII of France laid siege to Avignon. The bridge was rebuilt with 22 stone arches. It was very costly to maintain as the arches tended to collapse when the Rhflooded. Eventually in the middle of the 17th century the bridge was abandoned. The four surviving arches on the bank of the Rhare believed to have been built in around 1345 by Pope Clement VI during the Avignon Papacy. The Chapel of Saint Nicholas sits on the second pier of the bridge. It was constructed in the second half of 12th century but has since been substantially altered. The western terminal, the Tour Philippe-le-Bel, is also preserved.
The bridge was the inspiration for the song Sur le pont d'Avignon and is considered a landmark of the city. In 1995, the surviving arches of the bridge, together with the Palais des Papes and Cathale Notre-Dame des Doms were classified as a World Heritage Site.
July 25th, 2016
Viewed 161 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 04/20/2019 at 3:07 AM