PPG Place, nicknamed the "glass palace", is probably one of the most famous office complexes in the country. A 40-story reflective glass tower, surrounded by four 6-story glass buildings as well as a 14-story glass building occupies a 5.5 acre site in downtown Pittsburgh. What makes the complex so distinctive is the thicket of 231 spires crowning the buildings, with the largest being 82 feet tall.
The buildings are completely covered with glass panels, a PPG product, and like the US Steel Building was meant to be a towering advertisement for PPG's new Solarban 550 Twindow insulating glass. The panels are actually black, but since they are so reflective the building oftens appears a shade of blue. There are almost a million square feet of the panels covering the six buildings.
Groundbreaking for the complex was in January of 1981 and in December of 1983 the main tower was completed. The complex was dedicated on April 11, 1984, the cost of construction was $200 million. One PPG Place is home to PPG Industries, formerly known as Pittsburgh Plate Glass, founded in 1883.
April 16th, 2018
Viewed 65 Times - Last Visitor from Rumney, NH on 07/01/2019 at 12:03 AM