The Champlain Canal opened canal traffic between the upper Hudson River and Lake Champlain. This allowed trade in and out of the region, to Canada and New York City. With the opening of the Glens Falls Feeder Canal, Sandy Hill (now Hudson Falls) became a prosperous manufacturing center. Mills were erected along the Hudson River, at the falls, and along sections of the canal too. These mills produced lumber, various types of paper, pianos, wagons, precision pulleys, paper machines and many other products.
The Glens Falls Feeder Canal closed for commercial traffic in the 1930's. However the canal is today still supplying the Champlain Barge Canal with the water that is needed to keep it open. The entire route of the Glens Falls Feeder Canal is a fourteen mile long park, with a walking & bike trail on the old tow path.
March 5th, 2018
Viewed 11 Times - Last Visitor from Hudson Falls, NY on 11/30/2018 at 11:10 PM