The old First Methodist Church, Jermyn, TX, sits in quiet repose. Wind filters through the broken stained glass panes. Time slowly claims the church remains, yet the sanctuary reverberates in sacred memories.
Founded in 1902, Jermyn, TX, bears the name of its founder J. J. Jermyn--son of a Pennsylvania coal magnate. Cattlemen Oliver Loving and E. P. Stewart donated land for the Jack County city. Rev. L. D. Shawver founded the Methodist church in 1909, the year the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad arrived in town. The church meet in the Jones home--the first house built in Jermyn. In 1910 the church building was completed. The church was abandoned as the town's population diminished in the late 20th century.
Featured in Fine Art America/Pixels.com groups:
March 23rd, 2019
Viewed 104 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/30/2019 at 2:34 AM