St Ives Bay is on the Atlantic coast of north-west Cornwall in the United Kingdom. It is in the form of a shallow crescent about 4 miles or 6 km across, between St Ives in the west and Godrevy Head in the east.
Godrevy Island is situated 3½ miles across St.Ives Bay.
A dangerous reef extends outwards towards St.Ives, called the Stones and on this many vessels have come to grief. On 30th November 1854, the iron screw steamer NILE was totally wrecked with the loss of all passengers and crew, and under public and mercantile pressure, Trinity House finally decided to erect a lighthouse in 1859.
Smeatons Pier was constructed at the latter part of the eighteenth century. Previously it was only half the current length. The original lighthouse gives an indication of its earlier length. The harbour was extended to its current length in the 1860s and an additional pier was added to it, constructed primarily of wood and failed within twenty years. The remains of this pier can be seen at low tide. The three arches in the pier were added to allow sand to be naturally flushed out of the harbour so preventing the silting up of the harbour.
October 26th, 2013
Viewed 233 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 03/08/2019 at 2:09 PM