The first Michigan Lighthouse on Lake Michigan was built in St. Joseph in 1832 and stood in the mainland, 14 years later the lighthouse was put into operation. In 1886 a new pier and lighthouse was built with a Fresnel Lens, in 1905 a Fourth Order Fresnel Lens was installed and in 1907 the Pier was extended and steel outer light was added which was lit by a Fifth Order Fresnel Lens.
Both Pier Lights,Which are one of the few remaining pier range light systems on the Great lakes are still operational. The outer Light rests on a steel structure about 30 ft tall. the inner light is contained in a larger building. The two-story steel-sided structure has a Red hip roof. An octagonal Tower rises an additional two stories above the house and is topped by black iron parapet and walkway. A Catwalk extends over 300 yards from shore to the second story of the lighthouse. Catwalks were built so that Lighthouse keepers could access the lights when sea was rough and the waves were crashing over the pier making it too slippery to walk on.The walkway continues on to the outer Light.
St. Joseph Lighthouse in Located near Tiscornia Park, Near Benton Harbor Michigan on Lake Michigan.
July 15th, 2017
Viewed 409 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/24/2019 at 9:24 PM