No, we weren't really tent camping at Delicate Arch but we sure did have fun! And knowing that our night photography workshop season is about to start back up again, we couldn't be more excited for another round of great events.
What's even more fun is that our students are even more excited than we are!
How I Got The Shot
I have to give some credit to my training partner Darren White because I'm pretty sure it was him that first came up with the idea to bring a tent up to Delicate Arch. It sure made for some unique images! After getting the tent in position, I decided to do a little light painting from under the arch while I captured the shot with my remote trigger.
With just a single exposure image, I didn't need to use any blending magic in post-processing. I just applied a few curves and color balance adjustments in photoshop and a bit of tonal contrast from nik's color efex pro 4. For those who haven't used Nik's filters, they're not only highly recommended, but thanks to Google's decision last month to make them free, the whole set of filters is now accessible to everyone!
• Camera Body - Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera
• Camera Lens - Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle Lens with Focus Confirm Chip for Nikon
• Tripod Head - Acratech GV2 Ball Head / Gimbal Head with Lever Clamp & Acratech Large Leveling Base
• Tripod Legs - FEISOL Elite CT-3472 Rapid Tripod Legs
• L Bracket - Kirk BL-D800 L-Bracket for Nikon D800, D800E and D810
• LED Light Panel - F&V Z96 UltraColor LED Video Light