Oliver Mill Park, Middleboro, MA
"The Muttock area has a history of occupation and use that dates to the early Archaic Period, attracting Native Americans who came to fish in the Nemasket River and who probably establised a small village nearby. In 1734 a dam was built across the nemasket River here, replacing an old native fish weir.
"Between 1744 and 1776, Peter Oliver, an important provincial Tory official and judge, as well as an industrial entrepreneur, operated an ironworks that included one of the earliest rolling and splitting mills in New England. Oliver's works dominated Middleborough's early economy and were significant for the degree to which they exploited the power of the Nemasket River, using as many as eight water wheels to run an integrated cluster of iron works, grist, saw, and other water powered mills.
October 3rd, 2009
Viewed 57 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 01/23/2021 at 4:52 PM