The Velsheda was designed by Charles Nicholson and built by Camper & Nicholson in 1933 at Gosport for Mr. W.L. Stephenson, owner of the Woolworth chain of shops. She was Nicholson's second design for a J Class and Stephenson's second big yacht. "Velsheda" was named after Stephenson's three daughters, Velma, Sheila and Daphne. She raced with the greatest names in classic yachting including "Britannia", "Endeavour" and "Shamrock" between 1933 and 1936. In her second season, she won more than 40 races and achieved an outstanding record of success at Regattas from Southend to Dartmouth. Other venues included Torbay, Swanage and of course the Solent, all under the control of the very famous Captain Mountfield. The permanent crew at that time was approximately 16 men and would have been augmented to around 30 for racing. When not required for sail changes, spare crew were moved below decks.
August 16th, 2017
Viewed 54 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 01/21/2019 at 9:55 PM