Copyright: Christiane Schulze
The Wuerzburg Residence (German: Wuerzburger Residenz) is a palace in Wuerzburg, southern Germany. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch, representants of the Austrian/South German Baroque were involved in the construction, as well as Robert de Cotte and Germain Boffrand, who were followers of the French Style. Balthasar Neumann, architect of the court of the Bishop of Wuerzburg, was the principal architect of the Residenz, which was commissioned by the Prince-Bishop of Wuerzburg Johann Philipp Franz von Schoenborn and his brother Friedrich Carl von Schoenborn in 1720, and completed in 1744. The Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, assisted by his son, Domenico, painted frescoes in the building.
Interiors include the grand staircase, the chapel, and the grand salon. The building was dubbed the "nicest parsonage in Europe" by Napoleon. It was heavily damaged during World War II, and restoration has been in progress since 1945.