October 29th, 2011 - Martinez, CA
Here are some interesting facts about Eiffel Tower
· Completed in 1889 for the Paris world exhibition, it was built in two years by 132 workers and 50 engineers.
· The Eiffel Tower was the tallest building in the world when it was completed in 1889 (that was the case until 1930).
· It took a team of 25 painters to paint the Eiffel Tower.
· Protecting the Eiffel Tower from rust requires the application of 50 tons of paint every seven years.
· The Eiffel Tower shrinks 6 inches in winter
· Solar heating can causes the Eiffel Tower to expand up to 3.25 in.
· Strong winds can sway Eiffel Tower slightly. During the storm of 1999, it moved approximately 13 centimeters from its initial position
· In 1925, a con artist sold the Eiffel Tower for scrap - twice! But, this never happened.